Braised Pork Belly (Kaw Sach Chrouk)
An authentic and unforgettable, sweet and savory dish. Pork belly braised in a dark thin flavorful broth intensified with caramelized Thnot sugar, star anise, garlic and Kampot pepper alongside hard boiled eggs, roasted tofu and tender bamboo shoots. This is the dish that Khmer moms reward their children for a job well done.
- 12 large eggs
- ½ bulb garlic
- 3 pods star anise or 2 teaspoon ground star anise
- ½ cup Angkor Thnot sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1½ pounds pork belly 1” cubes
- 1 tbsp Angkor Black Kampot Pepper ground
- 1 tbsp salt
- 17 ounces bamboo shoot tips ½” slices
- 4 cups water
- 28 ounces extra firm tofu 1”x2” lengths
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Perfect Boiled Eggs for easy to remove shells – In a small pot bring water to rolling boil. Using slotted spoon, gently add one egg at a time. Uncover the pot and let it continue cooking for 13-14 minutes. Turn off heat, discard the hot water, and place the eggs in a cold bath. When the eggs are cool to touch, peel them.
- Place garlic & star anise in a spice sachet and tie securely.
- Caramelize sugar over medium-low heat until brown (stir continuously to prevent burning the sugar)
- Reduce heat to low, add sauces (soy, fish, oyster), stir until caramelized sugar dissolves into the sauce
- Add eggs, stir about every 5 minutes to ensure the egg are evenly brown. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes. Remove the eggs and set aside.
- Add pork to caramelized sauce, increase heat to medium-high and mix well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until meat turns brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add bamboo shoots, the spice sachet and mix well. Bring to soft boil, stir occasionally and continue cooking for about 10 more minutes until the meat is cooked (at least 165ºF). Add water mix well, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the meat is simmering, heat a baking dish under a 500ºF broiler for 5 minutes. Place pieces of tofu and oil in a ziplock, gently shake to evenly coat the tofu with oil. Empty the tofu onto the hot baking dish. Broil for 20 minutes until slightly brown.
- Add broiled tofu and eggs into the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes.