Freshly Pickled Vegetables
Sweet and sour sliced or shredded vegetables can be quickly prepared as a side dish to enjoy with may grilled or BBQ meats.
- 1 clove garlic thinly julienned
- 1 tbsp ginger thinly julienned
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar heap
- 1 tsp sea salt heap
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 5 Persian cucumbers thinly sliced
- 2 Fresno chili de-seeded and julienned
- Prepare the brine: in a medium bowl add the following ingredients: garlic, ginger, sugar, salt, vinegar, and water. Mix well and set aside.
- Soak julienned Fresno chili in a bowl of cold water, set aside. This prevent the red color of the chili bleed into the brine.
- Add in sliced cucumbers into the brine. Drain the Fresno chili and add it into the brine, mix well. Let the brine soak into the vegetables, and chilled for at least 15 minutes before serving.
This is a perfect side dish for Steak on a Stick or Grilled Lemongrass Chicken This recipe is also good for more chunkier and thicker slices of vegetable, just let it marinade at least 2 hours. Other vegetables that good for pickling include: daikon, carrots, cauliflower, papaya (shred), red bell pepper, cabbage, and jalapeno.