Rich, flavorful curry in coconut cream with onions, potatoes, carrots, bamboo shoots, string beans and wonderful lemongrass paste (kroeung).
- A small wok or frying pot for deep fry potato, and a pot of at least 5-quart for the soup
- 2 cups Avocado oil to deep fry potatoes
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes 1” cubes
- 3 tbsp Avocado oil
- 4 tbsp Angkor Cambodian Curry Powder
- 14 ounces Coconut cream*
- 3.5 ounces Angkor Lemongrass Paste
- 1 pound Chicken thighs 1” cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup onions ½” pieces
- 10.5 ounces bamboo shoots sliced
- 1 cup carrots 1” cubed
- 1 cup string beans* cut to 1”
- salt to taste about 1 teaspoon
- Deep Fry Potato – Heat up the 2 cups of oil over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 375ºF. Add potato and fry until golden. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Set aside.
- Cooking Curry Base – Heat curry powder in oil over low heat; stir until oil turns red. Add 4 tablespoons of coconut cream (the top portion of the coconut cream), stir until coconut cream becomes translucent and the mixture is uniform. Add lemongrass paste; continue cooking until mixture begins to stick together.
- Cooking Meat, onion & Bamboo – Add chicken; increase the heat to medium and sauté until meat is evenly seared. Add ½ cup of broth, onion, bamboo, mix well, bring to soft boiled, then reduce heat, and simmer for 5-8 minutes, stir halfway through.
- Add the Rest of the ingredients – Turn heat on medium-high; add carrots and remainder of broth; cover and bring to rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are done. Add string beans; bring to boil. Add remaining coconut cream; bring to soft boil. Turn off the heat add fried potato. Add salt to taste.
Calories: 629kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1115mg | Potassium: 1037mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3749IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 5mg
Serve with a slice of toasted baguette, steamed rice, soba noodles, or angel hair pasta. * Substitutions:
- String beans can be substitute with regular green bean
- Coconut milk is a good substitution of the coconut cream for low calorie diet