Cambodian Mango Rice
Cambodian style Mango Rice with roasted mung beans for that special texture and flavor. The mung beans are like tiny roasted coffee beans burst with flavor in every byte.
- Steamer, pure white tea towel, cooking gloves
- 2.5 cups sweet rice
- 1 tbsp split and hulled mung beans
- 1 can 14oz coconut cream
- ½ cup Thnot sugar heaping
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 Manila Mangos peel and slice
- Rinse rice in cold water 2-3 times until the water becomes clear. Soak in cold water for 1.5 hours.
- Dry roast mung beans over medium heat for about 7 minutes until they turn dark brown. Let cool completely. Rinse and set aside.
- Prepare Coconut Sauce – Heat coconut cream, sugar, salt, and roasted mung beans over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, and the sauce begins to bubble, turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Prepare the Steamer – boil water so that as soon as the rice is done soaking it can be steamed.Steam Rice: Once the rice is done soaking, drain into a tea towel. Place the tea towel into the prepared steamer, and steam for 20 minutes. Loosen Rice: Empty rice into a baking sheet to let cool. Reserve 2/3 of the coconut sauce (not including the beans). Use the remaining coconut sauce including the beans to loosen the rice. Drizzle the coconut sauce over the cooled rice and gently separate it with your fingers to ensure the rice is evenly coated with the coconut sauce.
- Portion the prepared rice onto a small plate, top with some of the reserved coconut sauce, then place the sliced mango next to the rice.
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 1125IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 3mg