Lemongrass Tofu Stir-fry
A popular vegan dish at Angkor Chef. Stir-fry using Cambodian traditional lemongrass paste (Kroeung)
- A large wok
- Prepare Crumble Tofu: Place a full size baking sheet into the oven and preheat it to 450ºF. Remove water from tofu as much as possible by using paper towel to gently squeeze the water out. Break tofu into bite size. Gently code it with soy sauce and vegan fish sauce, then add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and gently toss it to ensure tofu is evenly coated with oil. Spread the fotu over the hot baking dish evenly. Change the oven setting to broil, then allow the tofu to broil at 450ºF for at least 10 minutes until the tofu turn golden on one side. Let cool then scrape the tofo from the baking into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Twice Cooked Tofu: Heat oil on medium heat, add the crumble tofu and allow tofu to start sizzling then add Fresno chili, stir well. Add lemongrass and stir well.
- Add the rest of the Vegetable: Stir in onion, mix well. Turn off the heat and stir in hot basil.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 555mg | Potassium: 361mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 27IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg
Serve with steamed rice. * Substitution:
- Fresno chili is not very spicy. It can be substituted with any medium spiced chili. Use red bell pepper if mild flavor is preferred over spicy.
- Hot basil has unique flavor and aroma, thus it is not easy to substitute. However, the best one that my mother and I used while we were living in Lincoln, NE in early 80’s was oregano. Oregano has similar aroma, but much more intense in flavor and aroma. Curry leaves are also great option for adding herb to the dish. Or just add spinach or kale to add some green and good iron to the dish.
- For oregano, be sure to reduce the amount by at least 50 percent.
- For curry leaves, use 1/2 cup of leaves, roasting in hot oil, remove them from the heat and set aside. Once the cooking is completed, add the roasted leaves at the end mix well, and save some for garnish.