Pink pomelo carefully peeled and served with chef Channy’s family topping recipe. Aromatic, savory, sweet, and sour with a nutty texture. This refreshing and unique salad is a must-try while pomelo is in season.
- 4 strips thick bacon *
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 bulbs shallot
- 2 pomelo
- 2 sprigs spearmint
- 4 tbsp roasted salted peanuts (crushed)
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 4 tbsp Thnot Sugar
- Prepare the Bacon – Cook bacon per package instruction. Remove the excess fat by let them set on a piece of paper towel. Once the bacon is cool chop into small pieces. Set aside for topping mix.
- Roast coconut flakes – Place the coconut flakes into a small wok over low heat. Use a spatula to move the flakes around until the flakes start to change color to golden, let cool on a plate. Set aside for topping mix.
- Roasted Shallot – Peel and thinly slice shallot across section. Place avocado oil in a small wok, over a medium heat. Once the oil is heated add sliced shallot. Continuously stir the shallot around, until the shallot start to change color. Remove shallot from oil and let set on paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Set aside for topping mix.
- Prepare Pomelo – Remove the thick peel, and gently split each fruit into 4 to 5 clumps of segments with your hand. Remove the seeds by slice the core of each clump of segment open to expose the seeds, then scrape the seeds of with a knife. Remove and discard the segment membrane they are bitter. Collect only the juice sacks, break them into bite size, and place them into a large bowl, or divide them into for medium bowls for four serving. Top each bowl with julienned mint leaves.
- Preparing the Topping – In a medium bowl add bacon, roasted coconut flakes, roasted shallot, crushed roasted peanuts, chili flakes mix well. Add Thnot sugar mix well.
- Serving – Sprinkle the topping onto the minty pomelo and garnish with mint top.